Saturday, May 23, 2009

Angels and Demons

It was better than expected (FAR superior to Da Vinci Code - but that's not saying much).

It followed the action plot of the book VERY closely - which was a smart move (since the book was awesome)... lost some of the personal depth that was present in the book, but it's understandable considering the running time - and managed to be entertaining while still presenting the message (without TOO MUCH of the watered down, middle-of-the-road lack of intensity)

Some of the dialogue seemed awkward (omg Tom Hanks... what happened -.-) and there was a tad bit too much explanation for it to seem normal (it was okay in the book, since ... well it's a book about stuff most people don't know/care to know about, so tons of explanation is necessary)... It's tolerable.

Action bits: Tom Hanks - not bad. There were bits that made me flinch, as intended, so kudos to that.

I dont know if this is a fault, but the movie gave me a slight emotional attachment to the Catholic faith. I suppose it put the priests/vaticans on a more personal level than I am used to. I rather appreciate that.

One thing I felt was weak: the movie was covered in Ron Howard's let's all agree and not hurt anyone's feelings movie-making agenda. But it can't be helped... and it still managed to pull through decent, good job.


I recommend it. Slightly less than highly. But definitely worth watching.

-L

No comments: