Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stop Caring About Black Marks on a Sheepskin Paper

Sheepskin paper is referred to as the diploma - it was briefly mentioned in one of my HR classes - no idea how it's relevant but I like the expression so I'm using it.

The other day I was setting up my course schedule for the next 3 years of university life. I was quite happy because I was able to fit CO math major with marketing concentration with psych minor without going too much overboard - have to take 2 courses in winter co-op term and 1 term has six courses - no biggie.

But then I heard about statistics courses related to survey design and experimental design, which are things I'm interested in... but I had always rejected stats other than the required courses for my degree because I hated probability.

I reviewed my course schedule and noticed a lot of the courses I'm taking are to satisfy a requirement, not because I'm interested in the course material - this applies to 50% of the psych minor courses.

I noticed for CO and marketing that the choices I picked are for courses I could find interesting/useful (mostly interesting, I don't much care about usefulness). So those 2 are going to stay, even though I am rather confuzzled on how CO is going to relate to what I do in the future - but who cares about that.

So I've decided to not do a psych minor - but still take social psych, social cognition, personality theory which are the courses I am still interested in.

I've also decided to take some design-based stat courses in order to help out my marketing research path.

But I just have to get rid of the mentality for having things written on my sheepskin paper in 3 years.

It's simply psychological.

-L

No comments: