Friday, August 10, 2007

HP 7 Book Review

So I've finally finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, just about yesterday (at 5 am actually) ... I dragged the reading on way longer than it should have lasted. Many people I know practically read the book in the summer camp, not going to any activities but still a pretty good accomplishment.
Now I'll just briefly note some major stuff that I felt towards the books.

First and foremost, I am not at all disappointed by the book, which is surprising, because after a long run, the HP series was kind of getting long-winded and...dear I say, boring. However, this last book promises (and indeed brings) satisfactory full circle closures tying many many of those loose ends in most of the previous HP books. I find them quite imaginative and realistic (shock). Kudos

One thing about the plot of the book that I hated was how, in the end, Harry ends up with Ginny... yes the red-head youngest daughter of the Weasley family. Why is this such a horrid ending? Because it's just wrong on so many levels, plus, after seeing how hormone-raged Harry's mind is towards Ginny in the entire premise of the book, one simply gets tired, down-right tired, of this pairing. Seriously... Well, perhaps this ill feeling is also affected by how the movies franchise portrays Ginny... I feel depressed now -_- Also, is it even plausible that after 19 years, Harry would still be with Ginny? And have three kids? the middle child whose name, one must wonder, surely inspires the child to commit suicide and hate life forever (Albus Severus Potter... while his two siblings are safely named James and Lily Potter -_- c'mon, where's the imagination, folks). Anyway, I don't like that ending, but I guess it's not hurting (or even minutely touching) the main plot... so it's all good.

I love the main plot, by the way, very well thought out, and although some parts are cheesy, it still passes as realistic and charming. I love Albus Dumbledore... but why does he have to cry so much?

About the multiple deaths occurring in the book... I don't feel bad about it... they were definitely necessary for the book to be realistic, and I even think that maybe there weren't enough deaths. At least not many "important" lives were lost. Though I am deeply, deeply saddened by Lupin's death ... that's just cruel. J.K. Rowling has successfully killed off all of the four who created the Marauder's Map... James, Lupin, Sirius, and Wormtail. -___- I think that was part of the masterplan... oh wellz.

Overall, very good description (not long as some people might suggest, at least nothing compared to LOTR or Ayn Rand books... gawd, those descriptions are mind-bogglingly long...), and a nicely developed pace. Character development is dead, but you expect that from the last book of the series. Dialogue is pretty good too. etc. etc.

This book is satisfactory. It's not a masterpiece, oh certainly not. It stands no chance against the world's great literatures. Surely not as witty as HHGTTG, or as informational as the Fountainhead. But it's a children's book, and for that genre, this book rather excels. =D

I shall be awaiting the movies as well as any further work of this grandeur, for we all know how successful the Harry Potter franchise has become.

Cheers,

-L

No comments: